Everyone has their own preference and comfort level when it comes to their homes’ humidity level. Although, there is a point at which a homes’ humidity level can be too high or too low and can potentially cause health problems for the people within the home and damages to the home itself. Here are the things you need to know about your homes’ humidity level.
Ideally, your home’s humidity level should be between 30-50%. This is perfect to ensure the health and comfort of people within the home and will prevent microorganism growth. Homeowners have room to play between these numbers, according to their personal preferences and the way your home reacts to the humidity levels. Being anywhere below or above this range can cause incredibly damaging and costly problems within your home and to your own health.
You can check your home’s humidity level alone by using a hygrometer, but it is always a good idea to get your home’s humidity level checked by a professional HVAC company. They will be able to recommend the best settings for your home and ensure that your equipment is always in the best shape.
If your home’s humidity level is between 30- 50% and you are experiencing problems or discomfort, there are some things that you can do. The best tools to help regulate your home’s humidity levels are humidifiers and dehumidifiers, which will add moisture or strip the air of moisture respectively. Doing this will help avoid problems such as the following:
Problems Caused By High Indoor Humidity
– The growth and spread of mold, mildew, fungi, bacteria, and viruses.
– Likeliness to develop asthma and heightened allergy symptoms
– A feeling of “mugginess”, leaving you hot and uncomfortable
Problems Caused By Low Indoor Humidity
– Worse asthma and allergy symptoms
– Spread of cold and flu viruses, making you more prone to sinus infections
– Dry skin, chapped lips, and dry air passageways
– Colder body temperature despite the warm indoor temperature
– Dry air is damaging to homes; wood and other building materials will begin to crack due to lack of moisture
If you’re concerned about your homes’ humidity, call Taunton Trades for expert maintenance. Call us at 905 493 4227 or email us at email@example.com to have us visit your home.